Fix for "cannot use midi auditory icons in outloud server"

Hi,

I have recently set up the use of midi with emacspeak and I ran into
the same problem you had reported last December.  If you have not been
able to fix it, please give this a try and let me know.  To summarize
the problem (as I am posting this to the list), when I start emacspeak
version 12 on Red hat 6.1 with viavoice as the speech program and
stdiosynth (1.0) installed, instead of hearing the midi icons I get
the message "opl3: Initializing voice 0 with undefined instrument"
apperaing at the top of the screen (not spoken as I do not think this
is going through emacs) and no midi sounds, outloud works as usuall.

Here is how I fixed it.  Please try this and let me know if it works
for you as I am not sure if what I have is a general solution or
something that just happens to work for me.

What seems to happen is the midi needs to be initialised on each
machine boot.  Once I have played a midi file with play midi emacspeak will
play audio icons.  But on each new boot of the machine I must play a
midi file with playmidi else I get the "opl3: Initializing voice 0
with undefined instrument" error.

I added playing a midi file with playmidi to my rc.local script.
Since having done that, emacspeak midi icons work fine every time.

Currently I am using one of the midi files from project gutenberg.  I
do need to find something shorter.  If anyone has a pointer to some
small midi files I would appreciate it.

Hope this helps.

Greg
--