[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Fix for "cannot use midi auditory icons in outloud server"
- To: Jacob Schmude <email@example.com>
- Subject: Fix for "cannot use midi auditory icons in outloud server"
- From: "Greg E. Priest-Dorman" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:09:27 -0400 (EDT)
- CC: email@example.com
- In-Reply-To: Jacob Schmude's message of 2 December 1999 23:05:32 -0500
- References: <Pine.LNX.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Resent-Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:17:47 -0400 (EDT)
- Resent-From: email@example.com
- Resent-Message-ID: <"_sQ8UD.A.WlB.hYc55"@hub>
- Resent-Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
I have recently set up the use of midi with emacspeak and I ran into
the same problem you had reported last December. If you have not been
able to fix it, please give this a try and let me know. To summarize
the problem (as I am posting this to the list), when I start emacspeak
version 12 on Red hat 6.1 with viavoice as the speech program and
stdiosynth (1.0) installed, instead of hearing the midi icons I get
the message "opl3: Initializing voice 0 with undefined instrument"
apperaing at the top of the screen (not spoken as I do not think this
is going through emacs) and no midi sounds, outloud works as usuall.
Here is how I fixed it. Please try this and let me know if it works
for you as I am not sure if what I have is a general solution or
something that just happens to work for me.
What seems to happen is the midi needs to be initialised on each
machine boot. Once I have played a midi file with play midi emacspeak will
play audio icons. But on each new boot of the machine I must play a
midi file with playmidi else I get the "opl3: Initializing voice 0
with undefined instrument" error.
I added playing a midi file with playmidi to my rc.local script.
Since having done that, emacspeak midi icons work fine every time.
Currently I am using one of the midi files from project gutenberg. I
do need to find something shorter. If anyone has a pointer to some
small midi files I would appreciate it.
Hope this helps.
To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address on the
emacspeak list send mail to "email@example.com" with a
subject of "unsubscribe" or "help"
Emacspeak Files |