display tables

Doing what you're trying with the display table at present
is not possible
--you may want to try using the pronunciation dictionaries
and see what mileage you get.

In general I've not spent much time on  the display table
stuff because it's
completely undefined and unpredictable as to what different
TTS engines will do if you send them characters above 127.

The reason C-e c does not use hte display table by default
is that many TTS engines --specifically the Dectalk-- have
been known to crash
if you sent them the octal value under certain situations
--which is why C-e c does the fail-safe thing of sending
only ascii strings out.

WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc