low sound volume.

Hello,
	I've installed emacspeak 12.0 on my portable. It's a toshiba tecra 500
cdt, with a crystal cs4232 sound card in it. It's running rh6.2, and
viavoice for the synth. My first problem is the sound volume is very low,
I've got the volume control to the max and the volume is not very loud. I
have tried using an installed package called aumix to increase volume,
but it doesn't seem to be having any effect. Can anyone give me a
pointer? Also, if anyone is using linux on a laptop in a network
environment can you please get back to me privately?
Thank you.
Dave.