what happened to meta p, n etc.

Folks, I just went to emacspeak 13 from emacspeak 12.  Soon after, I
noticed that   I can't get up and down through command history lists
and possibly others.  Emacs is 20.4 .

The machine seems to be telling me to first ask for help or
somesuch. I don't understand this.  Control h k also seems not to be
as I rememver it.  In describe-key, meta p does not get described,
instead it DOES work the history list.

Am I totally losing it or what?