w3 drawing speedup?

Folks, I was wondering if anyone knows any optimization tricks to cut
the time w3 spends on page layout.  Since I don't see the display, I
could care less what it's visual characteristics are.

Then again, I am not yet familiar enough with emacspeak internals to
determine how it gets its data.  I do notice that emacspeak says plus
and pipe as it encounters table borders in a buffer of text.  This
being the case, I deduce that emacspeak is on top of the w3 layout
engine.

Dare I say, it would be nice to keep the w3 functionality plus the
spoken output from emacspeak meanwhile somehow omitting the expensive
drawing operations.

So, am I in the dark here?  Or, should I just upgrade my Pentium two
at 233 megahertz?  Or, must I be more patient?

Thanks.