hearing the previous message

A quick attempt to search the archive didn't find anything on this but
I presume someone has worried about this before.
At various times with emacspeak I hear the previous rather than
current contents of the message area.
I notice this  particularly when running something like
save-some-buffers "c-xs".
I used to notice this too when running emacs under telnet+speech in
DOS and presume it's something about the way it writes messages to the
echo area.  It's no disaster, I'm quite used to it, but in a quiet
moment waiting for a computation to crash I thought I might ask
whether anyone else had (a) noticed and (b) worked around this one.
thanks again
Peter Rayner