Reading Man Pages From the Shell

I've been trying to read man pages so I can figure out this keymap stuff.
I'm dialing in from home so don't have emacs, just a shell from windows
teraterm (a great little windows free emulator). In any case, when I read
man pages, every so ofter I get symbols (part of the font) which jfw reads
as "inverted exclamation". Are these some sort of fancy hyphen or something?
They seem to appear where nroff may have generated a hyphen. Even if I play
with environment vars for man like MANWIDTH, the problem still persists. Is
there a way to turn of hyphenation? Has anyone encountered this before?
                    Rich