trying out emacspeak

       A friend of mine it quite keen to try out emacspeak,
as he is fed up with using simple text editors under windows. I've
offered looking into getting a system running for him.

       Locally we are using windows, and linux (redhat 6.2). It
doesn't really make that much difference which I use. I would prefer a
software only solution so I don't have to muck around with hardware
voice synths. Failing all else though I will give this a go.

      Can anyone give me advice on which is going to be the
easiest of the various speech servers, and which of the OS's is going
to be the easiest and quickest to get up and running. I'm an
experienced emacs user and developer, but I know nothing at all about
sound and speech generation.

      Cheers

      Phil