Praise the LORD, I finally got most of it working!!!

Hi, all. This is Doug Smith again. I'm happy to say that I got
auditory icons going almost completely. Here's how I did it. I looked
in the archives and found all the references I needed to find in order
to get stdiosynth going. I had the problem with the "initializing
voice 0 with undefined instrument situation, but I found the reference
to initializing the midi system first in the rc.local script. This
solved most of the problem. Now, auditory icons wirk almost perfectly
with the chimes theme. I'm very happy with it.

I have only one other question that I didn't find in the archive. If
it's there, I'll just look harder and find it. The problem concerns
the emacspeak auditory icon with the organ music that's supposed to
play when the package first starts up. That is, I believe, the only
icon that isn't working. I really would like to know how to fix this
problem.

Gregg, I am very sorry for clogging up the list with all those
unnecessary inquiries. I will not do this again. Thank you for being
just like my freshman Western Civilizations professor in telling me to
"Look it up, Smith!" I looked it up and found most of it.

Jennifer, I don't have your address handy right now, because I didn't
keep the headings from any of those letters you sent me, but if you
put (emacspeak-toggle-auditory-icons) in your ~/.emacs file, all your
icons will work in any emacs session. The key is having stdiosynth
installed. Being the dummy I can sometimes be, I thought that joking
package was already installed because emacspeak was changing voices
with context. Thanks for clearing that up for me, folks. I am really
sorry.

Is it possible to use windowing system themes with emacspeak? I hope
that, one day, we can have a Star Trek theme. That would be great. If
it isn't too hard to do, and, when I have the time, I might just put
one together. If I can get it working correctly, I will submit it to
the list or wherever you might want me to send it to. I have to get
ready to go back to school right now, so I can't do it right now, but
I might later.

Once more, thanks for all your help.

Sincerely:

--