Praise the LORD, I finally got most of it working!!!

Doug --
1) themes such as "chimes" are relevant only when using wave
audio auditory icons,
for midi there is only one theme.

2) The emacspeak startup logo is an mp3 file.
If you are using Viavoice  and your
sound card is busy talking emacspeak startup messages you
probably wont hear the startup emacspeak icon.
(this is just as well --hearing speech is more important
than the ear candy of the startup icon)

WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc