Re: Palm 3 and Speech synth

Doug

You are not as far away from realizing your dreama as you may
think.

The supercomputer of today is not a multi-multi-million dollar
and
a multi ton stack of iron.  It is a cluster of Linux PCs.
Extendable
as far as you need to go, and can afford the PCs.

A couple of sharp women in northern Virginia put together a four
PC
cluster using scrounged, old 486 computers, and got some
remarkable
results.  Really amazing, considering the negligible price tag.
But
they were proving a point; first to themselves, and then to the
NOVALUG (Northern Virginia Linux Users Group).  You can see the
report of their work on the NOVALUG site at  WWW.TUX.ORG.
Muddle
around and get to the NOVALUG archives for early to middle of
last
year.  Their paper has references to HOW-TOs.

Of course, the Super-Cluster for serious work would use more
current
computers, as is the case with several Linux "SuperClusters" that
are presently in operation -- at a small fraction of the cost of
the
previous generation.  Another benefit of the Linux Cluster
approach
is higher reliability -- if individual computers fail, the load
is
shared among the remainder, with a small degradation in
performance.

Moe Aitel

(SNIP)