Vi editor

I' wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with VI Windows and/or hyperterminal.

Unfortunately, because it's a machine I use at work, I have no flexability as to OS:

?When running VI over a hyper terminal TCP/IP  connection the esc i command acts strangely.  It appears as though the text on the line is being over written.  Only after I repaint the screen, control + l does the appearantly deleted text reappear.