Re: PDA running emacspeak

Hmmm, it also seems IBM hasn't done anything with ViaVoice recently.
Judging by their ViaVoice webpages, all of the work seems to be on
Windows. Of course, this is only circumstantial evidence. But, if it's
true, perhaps they might be convinced to release source? They did announce
the release of $40 million in software to an open source project called
Elipse a few weeks ago. Perhaps ViaVoice is, or could be, part of Eclipse
and thus become available.

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Barry McMullin wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Janina Sajka wrote:
>
> > Would the Outloud speech work on the Sharp?
>
> NB: in case this confuses anyone else (as it regularly confuses
> me) "outloud" was a former name what is now (?) called "viavoice"
> - a speech sythesizer made fairly freely available by IBM.
>
> I don't think it's very likely this will be usable on the Sharp
> (or most other PDAs); as far as I know it has not been released
> in source form, so we are reliant on IBM to port it to particular
> executable platforms.  Last time I looked I think that amounted
> to X86 processors running Windows or Linux.  But maybe someone
> else has better information?
>
> Regards,
>
> - Barry.

				Janina Sajka, Director