RE: C-e d l how do I specify this on startup? in .emacs perhaps

Have a look at the man page for emacs (M-x man emacs).  There you will
see both a way to specify a function to be run at startup (you would
have to specify its name not key binding) and a way to have lisp
instructions that are in a file loaded.  I would recommend the second
approach.  You could then just load the .emacs file that way until
such time as you figure out why your distro of linux is not loading
it.

- Greg

--
 Greg Priest-Dorman