w3 troubles

Hi,

Try as I might, I cannot get w3-4.0pre.46 to display a page, even the one
at cs.indiana.edu.  I have built and installed according to instructions.
The lisp source and binary files are all in /usr/share/emacs/.  I let the
Makefile put the load commands into my .emacs.  When I start w3, it loads,
contacts the site, retrieves the page, draws, and stops with the error
"wrong type argument stringp nil".  I'm left in the scratch buffer, but in
w3-mode.  What's happening?

Thanks for any suggestions,

-Dave

Office Tel:  617 912 5238