emacspeak spouting punctuation with braille lite

I am using emacspeak21 under debian; using emacspeak-ss-1.9. Have been
using it with doubletalk lt with no problem. Am trying to use it with the
braillelite. when emacspeak loads, it begins saying spaces and linefeeds,
etc. all through the loading process and everything anything is typed or a
command is entered. If I load a file and up and down arrow, it doesn't do
this, though. I do have my punctuation set to none in my .emacs file, and
I even tried turning it off in the braillelite itself. What am I missing
here?
TIA.

--
				Cheryl