emacspeak and erc

I *know* this has been asked before, and I hate asking questions that've
already been asked, but I'm baffled. Is anyone using the latest version
of erc and having it talk? I turn on room monitors, I turn on people
monitors and it makes absolutely no difference. It doesn't speak the
messages as they come in. Am I doing something completely stupid? Have I
finally lost it? Should I go back to the 1999 version of erc and see if
that works?