emacspeak and erc

For the people monitor, you need to add the nick of the
person to monitor as displayed in the erc buffer
i.e. including the angle brackets.>>>>> "Yvonne" == Yvonne
Smith <yvonne@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
In addition you can turn on a "personal monitor" that will
speak messages containing your own nick.

    Yvonne> I *know* this has been asked before, and I hate
    Yvonne> asking questions that've already been asked, but
    Yvonne> I'm baffled. Is anyone using the latest version
    Yvonne> of erc and having it talk? I turn on room
    Yvonne> monitors, I turn on people monitors and it makes
    Yvonne> absolutely no difference. It doesn't speak the
    Yvonne> messages as they come in. Am I doing something
    Yvonne> completely stupid? Have I finally lost it?
    Yvonne> Should I go back to the 1999 version of erc and
    Yvonne> see if that works?

WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
AIM: TVRaman
PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc