Re: Where can I get festival lite?

   ... I am not running any kind of X-windowing
   system....  Nevertheless, one day when I removed a whole group of
   Xfree86 packages and related font kind of mess, emacs broke.

Try compiling Emacs with the

    --without-x

option to ./configure.  You may inadvertently be building an instance
of Emacs that uses X windows.

Try a configure command such as

    ./confgure --with-sound=yes --without-x

Normally, I build from CVS and evaluate the following expression
inside an Emacs owned by user `bob'.  (The configure command in this
expression configures for X by default since I run inside X windows.)

  (progn
       (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
       (compile
        "./configure --with-type1 --prefix=/usr/local --with-sound=yes \
          && make bootstrap"))

Then, as user `root' I install the new Emacs with this expression,
which I evaluate in an instance of Emacs owned by root:

  (progn (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/") (compile "make install"))

Best wishes.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  bob@xxxxxxxxxxx
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com