Wanting to get started with EmacSpeak

Greetings,

I have been away from Linux for a painfully long time and have finally
resolved to get back into it again.  To this end, I would like to learn
a great deal more about EmacSpeak, what applications can be used with
it, does it support software synths, etc...?  I'm thinking of either
starting with the Slackware, or Redhat distribution -- Slackware is what
I used to run, so I'm thinking of starting there, but am sure open to
suggestions.

I realize much has changed in the Linux world since I used to access my
Slackware box via another PC connected as a terminal, so would love to
get any help and support.  Thanks in advance,

Steve