Emacspeak / Festival Installation Problems

I've been struggling to install emacspeak for a couple of weeks now.

I've got working sound hardware.  esdplay will run a .wav file through the
speakers without problems.  MBROLA tests out fine.  I'm stuck on the step
of installing Festival.

http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/manual/festival_6.html#SEC12
recommends running a test of the C++ compiler, by running the following
script:

>#include <iostream.h>
>int main (int argc, char **argv)
>{
>    cout << "Hello world\n";
>}

which yields the following error messages:
>./c-test: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token '(i'
>./c-test: line 2: 'int main (int argc, char **argv) '

I don't know C, or C++ and am barely conversant in perl, myself.

I'm working in a Debian Woody environment with gcc 2.95.4 installed in the
path at /usr/bin.

Working through the installation instructions anyway, building
speech_tools, I seem to do fine until its time to run make test, which
generates lots of feedback, ending with the following error:

>Tests failed:
>xml example status: FAILED

I'd attach the messages which scroll onto the terminal, but I can't seen to
get my telnet connection hooked up and I'm writing from my desktop, not the
machine I'm building.

I move on to compile Festival in spite of the errors, run make from the
/usr/local/festival directory  and the final five lines of the feedback
sent to the terminal read:

>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltermcap
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>make[2]: *** [festival] Error 1
>make[1]: *** [main] Error 2
>make: *** [src] Error 2

I cd /usr/bin and run festival without the -q switch yields:
>No default voice found in ("/usr/lib/festival/voices/")
>either no voices unpacked or voice-path is wrong
>SIOD ERROR:
>closing a file left open: /usr/lib/festival/init.scm
>festival: fatal error exiting.

I suspect this might have something to do with the fact I have not yet
unpacked the following files in my /usr.local directory:

festvox_kallpc16k.tar.gz
festvox_us1.tar.gz
festvox_us2.tar.gz
festvox_us3.tar.gz

So, proceeding in spite of the errors, I run from the shell prompt:
         ./festival -q
which gives me the copyright notice and a festival> prompt.
         (SayText "hello world")
yields:
>SIOD ERROR: unbound variable : SayText

and no sound.

Next I unpack (tar xzvf festvox_*) the files mentioned above.  It responds
that it has un-tarred these four files into:
         festival/lib/voices/english/

And I run the SayText command again with the same results.

So, I've hit a dead-end and can now use some help from someone who knows
more about linux, more about Festival or both.  All ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
-- Hugh Esco