Re: New to Emacspeak - The Red Hat experience (long)

Tim Cross wrote:

>Hi Barak,
>
>I had a read of your experiences installing emacspeak with Red Hat. I
>have a couple of comments which I hope come across as some
>constructive criticism and not a personal attack.

No offence taken. Always looking for opportunities to repent and mend my
ways ;-)

>I think you may have made one very fatal flaw in your approach. That
>is, you appear to be someone who skims through the documentation and
>then tries to get the system working via making little tweaks and
>changes here and there without really understanding what you are doing
>and hoping that things will all work out in the end. Around here where
>I work, we refer to this as "spiral diving" because this approach
>usually leads to increasing degradation of computer stability and
>performance until it all just crashes into the ground.

Knowing what you're doing can help improve your productivity to some extent.
Still can't understand how projects with wizardly knowing developers lag
behind experimental ones.
I'm sure that if you pedantically track your steps you can safely try
all sorts of crazy things and
still avoid real disasters (and learn from little ones).
In addition, if one is eager to get fast results, that's the price he
has to pay.

>I think the
>situation was also made worse by Red Hat RPM dependency problems,
>which is one reason I moved to Debian - the debian package management
>seems to be a lot more sane when it comes to working out and resolving
>package dependencies. Having said that, I don't yuse any packaging
>system for emacspeak as I like to update regularly from CVS and
>emacspeak itself is a very simple package to configure, compile and
>install - almost too simple to warrant a package IMHO.
>
>A vital point you appear to have missed in the documentation is that
>there are two tcl packatges - standard tcl and extended tcl. Due to
>historical reasons, this can be a bit confusing as the standard tcl
>uses the name tclsh as its interpreter while extended tcl uses the
>interpreter name tcl. While you may have installed the tcl rpm, what
>you really needed to do was install the extended tcl rpm. This is
>something which you would have realised if you had read ALL the
>documentaiton before embarking on your install.

I have removed the tcl link that I have created in /usr/local/bin .
As suggested by Janina Sajka (thanks), I have rebooted the computer with
the
Red Hat installation CD in drive.
I have selected to upgrade the system and also marked "customize
packages to be upgraded"
before clicking "next".
In the "Individual Package Selection" page, I have highlighted "All
packages" and chose
"select all in group".
I then proceeded with the (quite long) installation.
One probable mistake was to allow it to update the boot loader.
I later found 3 new GRUB entries: the same kernel version concated to
 the strings "smp","bigmem","BOOT".
I don't think that they are useful for me (choosing "BOOT" yields few
errors at start-up, even though
the system is functional, I'll stick with the GRUB entry I know).
No data was lost.
$ which tcl
yields /usr/bin/tcl
$ rpm -i emacspeak-18.0-1.i386.rpm
has some conflicts with emacspeak 17 installation (from the upgrade
process).
$ rpm --upgrade emacspeak-18.0-1.i386.rpm
solves it.
emacspeak is now in /usr/bin . emacspeak-eflite script works, emacspeak
with espeakf still doesn't.

>A second point to keep in mind is that Linux is a fairly complex
>operating system and you really need to know what you are doing before
>you start installing different compiler and library versions. Finding
>you get an error when compiling some piece of software and then
>deciding to install another library or compiler

/usr/bin/gcc296 comes with the distribution (they knew that not everyone
is ready for standard C++).
in the flite directory
$ exprot CC=gcc296
$ ./configure
had no affect over config/config, so I chaned it manually
So I had
$ make distclean
$ ./configure
$ make
and this time I did not have to wait all night for compilation to finish.
still troubled by that warning though, I went on to rebuild eflite.

> and seeing if that
>fixes the problem without first trying to understand what the problem
>is will seldom work and you are likely to introduce problems and
>instability which is often subtile and difficult to identify. I would
>probably go so far as to say never install non-distribution libraries
>or compilers unless you really know what you are doing and first
>establish that you definatley do need to do this.

Not to mention ABI inconsistencies between different compiler versions,
so I had to see
if the eflite compiled with 3.2.2 can link with flite libraries compiled
with 2.96.
make clean, make, make install (no configure this time) worked.
emacspeak-eflite worked.

>A convention with Makefiles is to have a target called "clean" and
>often one called "distclean" or something similar. You should always
>check to see what targets are available in a makefile and if a make
>fails, you should do a "make clean" or "make distclean" before trying
>again to compile the system. If you do a make which fails and then add
>some new libraries, programs etc and then just type make again, the
>make process will continue from the point at which it failed. This can
>result in inconsistencies between the already created/compiled
>programs fromt he first attempt and later attempts. Doing the make
>clean will ensure you start with all object files and binaries at a
>known and more predictable point.

I wouldn't advice anyone to link mixed objects built with different
compilers unless as an experiment.

>A very important step to take to avoid the spiral diving problem is to
>keep track of what you do and when you make some change in an attempt
>to fix a problem, if it does not fix the problem, undo your changes,
>re-analyse the problem and try alternative solutions. Failing to undo
>changes when they don't appear to have fixed the problem will result
>in you moving into an "unknown state" where, if you are lucky enough
>to stumble onto a solution you will be uncertain exactly what
>combination of changes fixed the problem, plus you are likely to
>introduce additional problems which just muddy the waters.

Hope that my installation notes help to show how change logs are
essential (reading manuals also helps).

>Finally, an attitude which I've found very useful when trying to get
>things like emacspeak working is that if it doesn't work, its
>something I have done wrong, not a problem with the software or
>hardware. You are working with a software
>package used by a lot of people on a wide variety of
>platforms/distributions. If you cannot get the system to work,
>the probability is very high the error is due to something you are not
>doing correctly due to some misunderstanding in the installation
>procedures or an over-looked step. Due to the fairly large user base,
>problems in the software or its ability to work with certain hardware,
>are usually identified pretty quickly. This is especially true with
>respect to Red Hat as this is the distribution Raman uses and develops
>emacspeak on. As a Debian user, I can expect some minor glitches when
>first installing emacspeak due to the slight differences in
>installations. Generally, this is fairly trivial to work out and
>solve as long as you adopt a methodical approach, keep track of any
>changes you do and reverse changes once it appears they have not
>solved the problem.

I know that now.

>One final comment regarding your mention of killing comilation jobs
>because they appeared to be taking too long or appeared to
>hang. Depending on the software and your hardware, comilation can be a
>very slow process. Some years ago, I had a linux box which would take
>nearly 30 hours to compile the kernel.

Some notion that it is still alive would be nice. Just remembered the
"-Q" switch. add it to the CFLAGS
and you won't get a boring screen.

>I admit this was a fairly slow
>system with little memory, but it was also with an old 2.0 kernel
>which was a lot smaller than the current kernels. Once the kernel had
>compiled and was installed the system was very usable with emacs and
>emacspeak under a console - I even ran X windows on it from time to
>time and it was still usable. With the speed of modern computers, many
>people have become use to software compiling in seconds or
>minutes. However, this is very much a function of not just the
>hardware platform, but also the type of software being compiled. Some
>packages can be very slow to build and it is quite rare for a stable
>release of something to just go into an infinite loop when it is being
>compiled. So, be very reluctant to interrupt a compilation and if you
>do, make sure you do a make clean and a re-configure before attempting
>any subsequent compilations. When things go wrong, research possible
>causes - re-read documentation, search through archives and do a
>google for answers etc. Only attempt changes and modifications once
>you feel you have a good idea what the problem is and keep track of
>what you do.
>
>Good luck.

Thanks,
Barak.