emacspeak viavoice combination not working on slackware 9_0

I have DTK_PROGRAM=outloud in /etc/profile; I did the test for outloud
with cmdline given in the install-guide and the sound system spoke the
expected message with no problem.  However when I run either emacspeak or
emacspeak -o as a user the emacspeak sound file plays with the organ music
in it announcing emacspeak and then I get process speaker not runningg.
This also happens as root.  I used the version of emacspeak packaged with
slackware 9_0 which was 16.1 and wonder if I should upgrade to 18.0 to
solve this problem or take some other action.