From: RAYNER Peter <peter.rayner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: seeking comparison of Cepstral+eflite and Phonix
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:29:16 +0200

peter.rayner> Just about says it really.
peter.rayner> It's time to move away from Viavoice, much as I've liked it for the
peter.rayner> past few years.
peter.rayner> Two obvious alternatives seem to be the cepstral voices combined with
peter.rayner> eflite or the phonix Dec-talk implementation.
peter.rayner> Has anyone used both of these?
peter.rayner> some criteria I would value highly are
peter.rayner> responsiveness (essential)
peter.rayner> Compatibility with new systems, especially ALSA (essential)
peter.rayner> quality (highly desirable)
peter.rayner> multi-lingual  capability (desirable)
peter.rayner> Source code (desirable)
peter.rayner>
peter.rayner> Obviously not all these are applicable to both, e.g. one would
peter.rayner> presumably be adding other voices to eflite to get multi-lingual
peter.rayner> support and I understand the source issue with the phonix server.
peter.rayner>
peter.rayner> Any other alternatives I should consider?
peter.rayner> cheers
peter.rayner> Peter Rayner
peter.rayner>
peter.rayner> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address on the
peter.rayner> emacspeak list send mail to "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a
peter.rayner> subject of "unsubscribe" or "help"
peter.rayner>