Re: OSX Emacs

I'm currently running emacspeak on a G4 powerbook running OS X 10.2.5.

My initial solution involved using the standard speech server with a
Keyspan USB serial adapter, but unfortunately this didn't work for
anything with a resolution greater than one character (typing worked,
and arrowing character by character worked, but nothing else did.)

My current solution involves writing a native OS X speech server that
uses Carbon/OS X's TTS. This is currently fairly usable, and I'm
accomplishing most of what I want on the PB (at least, as far as
console apps are concerned.) I don't feel comfortable releasing my
code publically yet because a) it isn't commented b) not all of the
functionality is implemented and c) it segfaults fairly often due to a
pointer manipulation error in my own code which I just can't seem to
track down.

While this isn't entirely related to emacspeak, I thought I'd toss
this out for anyone who may be considering buying a mac:
http://www.aagi.com/news/news.asp?44. Seems AAGI is discontinuing work
on Outspoken, which is sad as a) they're the only developers of mac
screen readers that I'm aware of and b) I was really hoping for either
a port or rewrite of Outspoken for OS X. Ugh. I think my next project
after getting the OS X speech server up to a releasable state will be
to investigate writing a gnome-speech driver and trying to get
gnopernicus running. While that won't give me access to native mac
apps, I can at least run my favorite GTK programs on my notebook.