Customizing Pronounciation, is it possible?

Hi Kalyan,

The short answer is yes.

The apropos command is your friend! Issuing the command

M-x apropos <ret> emacspeak.*pronounce.*

gives the following starting list on emacspeak support for
modifying/controlling pronounciations .

emacspeak-pronounce
  Group: Pronunciation dictionaries.
  Plist: custom-loads custom-group group-documentation
emacspeak-pronounce-add-buffer-local-dictionary-entry
  Function: Add specified pronunciation for current buffer.
emacspeak-pronounce-add-dictionary-entry
  Function: Add dictionary entry.
emacspeak-pronounce-add-super
  Function: Make CHILD inherit PARENT's pronunciations.
emacspeak-pronounce-apply-pronunciations
  Function: Applies pronunciations specified in pronunciation table to current buffer.
  Plist: byte-optimizer
emacspeak-pronounce-augment-pronunciations
  Function: Pushes pronunciations in specified dictionary on to the dictionary
emacspeak-pronounce-clear-dictionaries
  Command: Clear all current pronunciation dictionaries.
emacspeak-pronounce-common-xml-namespace-uri-pronunciations
  Variable: Pronunciations for well known namespace URIs.
  Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-type custom-requests
emacspeak-pronounce-compose-pronunciation-table
  Function: Composes a pronunciation table for BUFFER. The default is current
emacspeak-pronounce-current-buffer
  Variable: Buffer name where we are currently defining a pronunciation.
  Plist: variable-documentation
emacspeak-pronounce-define-local-pronunciation
  Command: Define buffer local pronunciation.
emacspeak-pronounce-define-pronunciation
  Command: Interactively define entries in the pronunciation dictionaries.
emacspeak-pronounce-delete-super
  Function: Stop  child inheriting  PARENT's pronunciations.
emacspeak-pronounce-dictionaries
  Variable: Hash table holding emacspeak's persistent pronunciation dictionaries.
  Plist: variable-documentation
emacspeak-pronounce-dictionaries-file
  Variable: File that holds the persistent emacspeak pronunciation dictionaries.
  Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-type custom-requests
emacspeak-pronounce-dictionaries-loaded
  Variable: Indicates if dictionaries already loaded.
  Plist: variable-documentation
emacspeak-pronounce-dispatch
  Command: Provides the user interface front-end to Emacspeak's pronunciation dictionaries.
emacspeak-pronounce-edit-generate-callback
  Function: Generate a callback for use in the pronunciation editor widget.
emacspeak-pronounce-edit-generate-pronunciation-editor
  Function: Generate a widget-enabled edit buffer for editting the
emacspeak-pronounce-edit-pronunciations
  Command: Prompt for and launch a pronunciation editor on the
emacspeak-pronounce-get-dictionary
  Function: (not documented)
  Plist: byte-optimizer
emacspeak-pronounce-get-supers
  Function: Return list of supers.
emacspeak-pronounce-help
  Variable: Help message listing emacspeak commands.
  Plist: variable-documentation
emacspeak-pronounce-internet-smileys-pronunciations
  Variable: Pronunciation dictionary used in all instant messenger and IRC chat
  Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-links custom-type custom-requests
emacspeak-pronounce-load-dictionaries
  Command: Load pronunciation dictionaries.
emacspeak-pronounce-load-pronunciations-on-startup
  Variable: Says if user dictionaries loaded on  emacspeak startup.
  Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-type custom-requests
emacspeak-pronounce-pronunciation-keys
  Variable: Pronunciations can be defined for these kinds of things.
  Plist: variable-documentation
emacspeak-pronounce-pronunciation-personality
  Variable: *Pronunciation personality.
  Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-type custom-requests
emacspeak-pronounce-pronunciation-table
  Variable: Variable holding association list of pronunciations for a buffer.
  Plist: variable-documentation
emacspeak-pronounce-read-term
  Function: (not documented)
  Plist: byte-optimizer
emacspeak-pronounce-refresh-pronunciations
  Command: Refresh pronunciation table for current buffer.
emacspeak-pronounce-save-dictionaries
  Command: Writes out the persistent emacspeak pronunciation dictionaries.
emacspeak-pronounce-set-dictionary
  Function: (not documented)
  Plist: byte-optimizer
emacspeak-pronounce-toggle-use-of-dictionaries
  Command: Toggle use of pronunciation dictionaries in current buffer.
emacspeak-pronounce-yank-word
  Command: Yank word at point into minibuffer.
  Plist: byte-optimizer
emacspeak-pronounce-yank-word-point
  Variable: Point where we left off reading from the buffer containing the term being defined.
  Plist: variable-documentation

Tim

 Kalyan> Hello all, I am a new user running Emacspeak with flite +
 Kalyan> eflite as the speech device. One particular quirk of this
 Kalyan> speech synthesizer is particularly distracting and
 Kalyan> irritating. I noticed it while listening to the "Audio
 Kalyan> Desktop" section of the Info file. The word "object" (as in
 Kalyan> object-priented desktop) is rendered as if it was the antonym
 Kalyan> of "agree" rather than the way one would say "A good sentence
 Kalyan> should have a subject, an object, ....". Is there a way I can
 Kalyan> specify the pronunciation in some kind of
 Kalyan> "custom-dictionary"?  TIA.  Kalyan

 Kalyan> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address
 Kalyan> on the emacspeak list send mail to
 Kalyan> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
 Kalyan> "unsubscribe" or "help"

--
Tim Cross
Senior Analyst/Programmer

We cause accidents."                             -Nathaniel Borenstein