DISPLAY environment variable trouble

If it's any help on that work dog problem, I haven't managed to get my
DISPLAY variable set correctly on this machine.  If I could find out how
to get the DISPLAY variable set correctly, I could run Bastille-Linux and
listen to the sound files provided with emacspeak.  Might some kind of
script exist that could be used to determine proper DISPLAY variable
setting and then have the proper one saved in /etc/profile?