ViaVoice Outloud not working in Debian Woody

Dave,

You may be out of luck again. ViaVoice Outloud is no longer supported
by IBM. This means they are not releasing versions which are linked
with the more recent c/c++ libraries. Unfortunately, developments in
C/C+++ libraries and GCC mean the loss of binary compatibility with
older binaries.

In short, you will only be able to get Outloud to work on old
distributions or go through the pain of trying to install and maintain
multiple c/c++ libraires and compiler.

Having said that, I would expect that ViaVoice would still work on
Debian woody - particularly if its the first or second release (I
think they are up to release 3 now). I ran Outloud on Debian unstable
until only about 4 months ago - as Debian stable is very stable, I
would suspect there is still a good chance of running ViaVoice under
that release. Note however that your time will be limited and
eventually the updated libraries will make it into Debian woody and
ViaVoice will be gone. As a side not, I was never able to get even the
DECtalk say program to run under Debian stable or testing 12 months
ago and its the reason I ended up runing under unstable. Since then,
I've heard others have had success in getting the DECtalk to run under
Debian stable, so library updates must make it into Debian stable at
some point.

I suspect you have not set the ECIINI variable. Try running the
command line ViaVoice probrams and see if they give you some clue. I
found that once your libraries are out of date, you don't get any
error message, just segmentation faults.

Tim

 Dave> Hello, Given my failure to get DECtalk software tts working, I
 Dave> decided to try the ViaVoice Outloud that worked in my old
 Dave> Redhat installation.  I installed the sdk and rtk for ViaVoice
 Dave> from rpm files which I converted to Debian with the alien
 Dave> package.  The code in
 Dave> "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs/servers/linux-outloud"
 Dave> compiles and builds an object and shared library.  When I run
 Dave> "tcl /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/outloud", the
 Dave> error, "could not load "/usr/lib/libibmeci50.so" is printed.  I
 Dave> am assured that the library is, in fact, in "/usr/lib/".  The
 Dave> rellivant parts of my shell session, and the complete Makefile
 Dave> from "linux-outloud", are below.  I'm wondering whether the
 Dave> trouble is really something in my tcl setup, since both the
 Dave> outloud and dtk-soft scripts don't work?  The tcl script for
 Dave> doubletalk, however, does.

 Dave> Thanks,

 Dave> -Dave

 Dave> debian:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/linux-outloud#
 Dave> make g++ -DUNIX -fpic -g -c -o tcleci.o tcleci.cpp cc -g -o
 Dave> tcleci.so tcleci.o -ltclx8.3 -ldl -shared
 Dave> debian:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/linux-outloud#
 Dave> cd ..  debian:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers# tcl
 Dave> outloud Error: Could not load /usr/lib/libibmeci50.so Please
 Dave> install the IBM ViaVoice Outloud RTK while executing "load
 Dave> $tclTTS/tcleci.so" (file "outloud" line 290)
 Dave> debian:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers# locate
 Dave> libibmeci50.so /usr/lib/libibmeci50.so
 Dave> debian:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers# dpkg -l
 Dave> |grep ViaVoice ii viavoice-tts-r 5.1-1.2 IBM ViaVoice TTS Run
 Dave> Time Kit for Linux ii viavoice-tts-s 5.1-1.2 IBM ViaVoice TTS
 Dave> Software Development Kit fo

 Dave> #$Id: Makefile,v 17.0 2002/11/23 01:29:10 raman Exp $ INSTALL =
 Dave> install PREFIX = /usr libparentdir =
 Dave> ${PREFIX}/share/emacs/site-lisp libdir
 Dave> =$(libparentdir)/emacspeak/linux-outloud TTS=tcleci.so eci.ini
 Dave> VIAVOICE

 Dave> all: tcleci.so

 Dave> CPPFLAGS= -DUNIX -fpic -g

 Dave> tcleci.so: tcleci.o $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -g -o $@ tcleci.o -ltclx8.3
 Dave> -ldl -shared

 Dave> clean: rm -f tcleci.so tcleci.o

 Dave> install: tcleci.so if test ! -d $(libdir) ; then mkdir
 Dave> $(libdir); fi ; \ chmod 755 $(libdir); \ $(INSTALL) -m 0644
 Dave> $(TTS) $(libdir)

 Dave> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address
 Dave> on the emacspeak list send mail to
 Dave> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
 Dave> "unsubscribe" or "help"