server operation fails

I tried patching each server's first line to read #!/usr/bin/tcl and got
all of the variables exported and the DTK_TCL variable unset.  doing tcl
/doubletalk still gets no speech and the first thing that's complained
about is the DTK_port variable being set to /dev/ttyS0 and then complaints
about stty sane and then arm come when the server fails.  I tried
installing these on redhat 8.0 earlier and now I have them installed on
slackware 9.1.  I think it's probable the version number increases are
killing the servers.  If it were just one version of one operating system
that would be one thing, but this is two versions of two different
operating systems with identical results.  I used the slackware package
for emacspeak-ss-1.9.1 on the slackware 9.1 CD too.  Package had no
problem installing either so probably not corrupt.