Re: Getting Started

It's not emacspeak that provides you the speech enabled installation,
but rather the speakup screen reader.

Fortunately, the cost of GPL licensed software insures you can afford to
have everything you might possibly want or need, not just a few selected
applications. And, emacspeak, speakup, etc., etc. (there are others)
will coexist nicely.

So, the HOWTO you want to start with is at the following URL:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

Unfortunately, that site is down as I write this email, so I will send
you this file separately.

W. Nick Dotson writes:
> I'm wanting to enter the Linux/emacspeak world.  Have been reading of the evolution of this system for some time, but not being a programmer, have felt
> intimidated...  I went to archive site, searching on "getting started or tutorial".  I could bring up questions in the list but couldn't figure out what link to use for
> continuing with posts on the question, tried "thread" "index" and other stuff to no real avail and gave up...  Essentially, I feel like I'm in a bowl of speghetti with
> no since of direction as how to have a "here's how you get started" "steps 1,2,3".
>
> Is there a book/tutorial/manual?  I went to the download site, and was confronted with files who's extensions I'm not familiar with, so didn't know what to
> download or guess how to open them?  From Main Menu on <acbradio.org> I understood I could download an "image" filept it on a CD, run a boot floppy with a
> "batch file" and have a speech enabled installation of the Operating System" but just can't seem to find the manual that says download this file, burn it to CD
> and do next...
>
> W. Nick Dotson

				Janina Sajka, Chair
				Accessibility Workgroup