What is the best way to get emacspeak to work with flite under debian?

What I have gleaned from lists so far is that you need emacspeak, flite and
eflite.  I also no there is a speech-dispatcher-l package for emacspeak.  Is
this package necessary?  I'm using debian testing.  What's the most compatible
versions of emacspeak and the flite/eflite packages I want?  Does flite work
better using alsa or the os sound drivers?
Sean