eflite turns flakey with Fedora Core 3 (speakup) distro

Kalyan Mukherjea writes:
>A few days ago I got hold of the "speakup enabled" Fedora
>   CDs from cheapbytes. I had been using a Fedora 2 system and the
>   discs had FC3, I did an "upgrade" installation.
>Since that time, eflite has become rather "touchy": if I interrupt its
>   speech it stops for about 5 seconds.Now my flite, eflite are installed under /usr/local --- so these are
>not affected by the upgrade. The only change is in emacs.
More things than just emacs have changed between Fc2 and FC3 I think?
Doesn't this involve a 2.4 to 2.6 kernel change with  corresponding
change from OSS to ALSA as the default sound architecture?
I'm having this kind of flakiness with Dectalk on a 2.4 kernel but
with ALSA as the sound library.
If that's your problem I suspecct it won't be too hard to solve ...
cheers
Peter
--
Peter Rayner