Unidentified subject!

Kalyan Mukherjea writes:
>I receive a lot of pdf files from colleagues: these are mainly
>mathematics papers produced via a latex file and pdflatex. The trouble
>is that VM shows this as a whitish  rectangle stretching horizontally
>across the buffer. If I take the point to this line and press enter, I
>get the message `converting to text' and what results is mainly
>garbage. The only work-around I have found is to request my
>correspondent to first gzip the file before attaching it to the
>letter. In this case VM-Emacspeak says "Decoding base 64" and
>newfile.pdf.gz appears in the
>~/Mail/attachments/ directory.
If I had to guess I would say that pdftotext isn't handling the output
of pdflatex very well.  Odd since I do pretty much the same thing
although if a colleague has produced a paper in LATeX I will always
ask them for the original rather than try to read pdf equations.
What's your value for
vm-mime-type-converter-alist
Here's the one that works for me

vm-mime-type-converter-alist's value is
(("application/msword" "text/plain" "catdoc")
 ("application/msword" "text/plain" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/etc/doc2text")
 ("application/vnd.ms-powerpoint" "text/html" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/etc/ppt2html")
 ("application/vnd.ms-excel" "text/html" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/etc/xls2html")
 ("application/pdf" "text/plain" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/etc/pdf2text")
 ("text/calendar" "text/plain" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/etc/cal2text"))

>I tried disabling the Raman settings for VM and this did not help.
>
>There is another category of attachments which gives trouble:
>
>These are plain ascii text files: even if a correspondent `attaches'
>the file, VM shows it as if the sender had `pasted it' or inserted it
Again a guess but it sounds like vm is treating this as an internal
>type

vm-mime-internal-content-types's value is
("text" "plain text" "mail message" "multipart")

Documentation:
*List of MIME content types that should be displayed internally
if Emacs is capable of doing so.  A value of t means that VM
display all types internally if possible.  A list of exceptions
can be specified via `vm-mime-internal-content-type-exceptions'.
A nil value means never display MIME objects internally, which
means VM must run an external viewer to display MIME objects.

If the value is a list, it should be a list of strings.  Example: ...

Two choices are to set the exception type or get the person to attach
it as some other type, or turn off mime display.
HTH
Peter

--
Peter Rayner