kermit escape character?

John,

In emacs terminalogy, the operation you are after is usually referred
to as "quoting" rather than escaping. Normally, you can do this with
C-q. However, this may be different depending on the terminal emulator
you are using to run kermit. However, a search for "quoting" on the key binding
list for whichever terminal mode you are using should reveal what key
combination you need to perform to send the control key through to
kermit and stop it being grabbed by emacs.

Tim