Improving Dectalk Express responsiveness

Thats very odd. I use a dectalk express at work and its very
responsive. Unfortunately I'm on leave at the moment and cannot verify
what firmware version I'm running. However, if its responsive when
running speakup, I doubt its a firmware version issue - the dectalk
knows nothing about speakup or emacspeak - it just recieves input
fromt he serial port. One possible exception could be if it is the
"in-line" commands that change various speech parameters. I'm assuming
speakup uses a fairly generic "dumbed down" interface to allow support
for multiple synthesizers and doesn't use the full range of features
that emacspeak uses. I guess It is possible that this could delay output if
there was some sort of bug in the firmware.

It is not too difficult to modify the tcl-dtk script to remove a lot
of the in-line commands from the output. You could try that and see if
that makes a difference to responsiveness. If it does, then that would
lend more support to the possibility its in-line commands which are
causingt the problem and that it is possibly a firmware issue.

I would also be checking things like the stty settings being used and
possible serial port contention, especially if both speakup and
emacspeak are loaded at the same time.

Tim