Anyone had trouble compiling flite lately?

Hi.  I've got a Dectalk coming soon but felt I'd try building flite on
a Fedora 4 machine.  The flite version is flite-1.3-release.tar.gz
from the CMU archive site.  Anyway, I get part way through the compile
and GCC sucks up all 256 megs of RAM and 500+ megs of swap on the box
and she sits there thrashing away.  Tried twice and had to abort to
stop the process.

Not sure how much effort to invest in this thing as an earlier flite
install that went well enough has my Toshiba laptop speaking like a
suicidally depressed British guy and I'm reluctant to let anyone hear
it.

Thanks.