Re: Using emacspeak with speech-dispatcher

Flite does have a driver which is apparently designed to support ALSA.
However, I believe it was written for some older version and that the API
has changed since then.  (I've thought about updating it but haven't taken
the time to learn how the ALSA API works so that I could figure out what
needs to be done.)

Flite is able to return a wave buffer, although not in a callback as far
as I know.  Eflite uses one thread to synthesize the audio and another
thread to play it using flite's routine to play its audio.  However, if
any of you want to make it work with ALSA, I would recommend adding the
support to flite rather than eflite or some other project (except where
eflite's configure.in and Makefile.in need updating, for instance) so that
other projects that use flite can take advantage of the update.

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --