Re: building and installing under $HOME

Hi Robert,

I can think of the following problem: You must make sure that the
system wide installation does not get into your way when running your
own.  The debian emacspeak package puts an configuration file under

/etc/emacs/site-start.d50emacspeak.el

which might interfere. You will have to make sure that when you start
your user installed version, no parts of the debian version are
used.  It would probably be worthwhile inspecting the above file for
possible trouble.

I use the following in my .emacs file to be able to
run different versions:

;; Load emacspeak if EMACSPEAK_DIR environement variable is defined
;; and Load emacspeak config file
(let ((emacspeak-dir (getenv "EMACSPEAK_DIR")))
  (if emacspeak-dir
	  (progn
		(load (concat emacspeak-dir  "/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el"))
		(load "~/emacs/.emacspeak.el")
		)))
This allows me to start emacs without emacspeak when necessary. I
 use the follwoing script to start emacspeak:

#!/bin/sh
# emacspeak - execute emacs with speech enhancements

DTK_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/eflite
EMACS_UNIBYTE=1
test -z "$EMACSPEAK_DIR" && EMACSPEAK_DIR="/home/luke/opt/emacspeak-23.0-mix1/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak"
export EMACS_UNIBYTE DTK_PROGRAM EMACSPEAK_DIR
exec emacs $*

This loads a "known good" version emacspeak unless EMACSPEAK_DIR is
set to something else.

Lukas