Re: ibm tts run-time engine purchasing alternatives

The company you're referring to is Capitol Accessibility. The guy who runs
it is a speakup user, not emacspeak.   I know him from another list and I
recently exchanged emails with him about the accessibility of the IBMTTS.
He said there is quite a bit of packaging work to be done yet. I don't know
exactly what that means but when you think about it, the vast majority of
people are going to expect to get a package that they can just install with
a single command or two. Plus they probably have to develop some kind of
licensing scheme -- some way for you to type in a key to unlock the package
or whatever

So I wouldn't hold my breath.

At 11:29 AM 2/10/2006, Robert D. Crawford wrote:
>Hello fellow emacspeakers,
>I have been looking around for alternative places to purchase the
>run-time engine for the ibm tts.  The only site that seems to mention
>these, not in bulk, is the ttsynth site at http://www.ttsynth.com/.  I
>have called and left messages, and I have emailed them at info and
>sales, but have yet to get an answer.
>
>I hope they are reading this list.  What kind of business would say that
>something will be available at a certain time and, when that time
>passes, not update their site to reflect this.  In addition, I think it
>is very bad for business to not return queries for information when it
>means a sale.  I am prepared to buy, and I have made that point very
>clear.   however, if this is the kind of service that I would get if, I
>were to need something else after the initial purchase, unless they are
>the only ones that I can get it from, I will be sending my money
>elsewhere.
>
>So, what I am looking for are alternatives for the purchase of the files
>necessary for a complete run-time environment with American English
>language support.  If anyone has information concerning where to find
>these files, please post to this list.  I am not the only one
>interested, unless I am the only one that has yet to get the software.
>
>Gilles, I cc you on this because I was not sure you would read it if it
>was only on the list.  I do not know what was involved in your
>distrobution agreement, but if you can sell me this software, I am
>interested in buying from you.
>
>Thanks for any help, and for allowing me to vent,
>
>rdc
>
>--
>Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
>Celebrate Hannibal Day this year.  Take an elephant to lunch.

John G. Heim
jheim@xxxxxxxxxxx
3-4189