Re: Viavoice pros and cons

Hi Kalyan,

With respect to ViaVoice, I am in the same situation as Robert , so I
cannot give you any hints about where to buy ViaVoice.

Please keep in mind that my experience with ViaVoice is limited to a
few days of usage. At this point, it seems to me that the main value
of ViaVoice in the context of Emacspeak is voice locking.  That means
different voices are used to indicate text properties or
context. Another advantage of viavoice is that it is somewhat more
intelligent than for example flite, so it will pronounce more things
correctly. Other than that, I do not see much of an advantage in
ViaVoice at this point. Flite and eflite will very soon support Alsa
sound playback so you can have auditory icons with it as well.

I really have not played enough with ViaVoice to give any good advice
on whether or not to purchase it. I guess you have to ask yourself what your
complaints about your current solution are and than find out if
ViaVoice will do better in these areas.

Regards, Lukas