running/testing flite with alsa support

Hi Lucas,
   I have unpacked eflite-alsa.i386.tar.bz2 into
~/opt/flite_alsa/
 (I hope I have named the file  correctly!)
Reading the Readme file you have provided, I was slightly confused:
You say:
Quote from  readme_alsa
"
. so, to use eflite_alsa with emacspeak, you would do

DTK_PROGRAM=eflite_alsa_wrapper emacspeak
"

Now my emacspeak is a shell script in /usr/local/bin which
is stolen from Bob Chassell's info document
"Introducing Emacspeak".

There he suggests that one could run emacspeak driven by two different
tts engines by having two scripts
called emacspeak-flite and emacspeak-espeakfv.

I was wondering if it might be feasible to put all your stuff in one
directory called /usr/local/AlSA/,
rename my present script emacspeak-os and put in a new script
emacspeak-alsa in /usr/local/bin/
and have the invocation of the wrapper etc in emacspeak-alsa.

Now Bob's script is 35 lines in length and, to my unlettered gaze, it
llooks  like the main business is in the last 5 lines or so.

If you think this scheme might work perhaps you could consider taking
a look at Bob's script and make the necessary changes and let us know.

I am attaching emacspeak-flite by Robert J. Chassells below:

Cheers,
 Kalyan

#!/bin/sh
## /usr/local/bin/emacspeak-eflite - execute emacs with speech enhancements
## use EFLITE

     ## based on
     #$Id: emacspeak.sh.def,v 17.0 2002/11/23 01:29:08 raman Exp $

     if [ -f $HOME/.emacs ]
     then
             INITSTR="-l $HOME/.emacs"
     fi

     CL_ALL=""
     for CL in $* ; do
             if [ "$CL" = "-o" ]; then
                     DTK_PROGRAM=outloud
                     export DTK_PROGRAM
                     elif [ "$CL" = "-d" ]; then
                     DTK_PROGRAM=dtk-soft
                     export DTK_PROGRAM
             elif [ "$CL" = "-q" ]; then
                     INITSTR=""
             else
                     CL_ALL="$CL_ALL $CL"
             fi
     done

     export EMACS_UNIBYTE=1
     export DTK_PROGRAM=/usr/local/bin/eflite

     exec emacs  \  -q      -l /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el \
     $INITSTR $CL_ALL
     ### end /usr/local/bin/emacspeak-eflite