Re: freetts on ibook

At Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:59:24 -0400,
Willie Walker wrote:

> > I have no idea, though, why this just didn't work on os x. It was either
> > too slow, or there was something weird going on with the buffering,
> > because it just couldn't read large blocks of text.
>
> Hmmm...very odd, and I'm sorry to hear about the problems.  I wonder if
> there might be something in the content of those large blocks of text
> that make FreeTTS fail?

I'm positive it's not the content, but the *amount* of text that's
causing it. It was even farely consistent in how much it would read and
what it would skip, which is why I'm wondering if it had something to do
with buffering.

> I wish I had the time to help debug this problem more.  Unfortunately,
> though, I'm under a massive crunch to get Orca V1.0 into GNOME 2.16.

*sigh* I was afraid you were going to say that. I probably won't give up
 on it, but I'm going to have to put it on the back burner a bit myself,
 I think. I just don't know enough about os x, java, freetts or the
 emacspeak server to make it easy to debug it myself. But I'll keep
 poking at it when time allows. If anyone else has a look at it before I
 come up with a solution, I hope they'll share it.

Either that, or maybe the flite people will make their synthe work fully
on os x before I get there, <grin>.