Re: really need emacspeak work with festival, help please.

krishnakant Mane writes:
 > by the way, considering the fact that I already program in c and
 > python with quite a bit of knowledge on perl, how difficult or easy
 > will lisp be?
 > as it is I am interested to write plugins any ways.
 > thanking all.
 > Krishnakant.

A considerable conceptual shift is required when you move from
something like C to Emacs Lisp. Lisp dialects are generally very easy
to learn because the syntax is so minimal and evaluation rules are so
simple. However, the way you develop and the solutions you come up
with tend to be quite different. As someone who came from a C, Java,
Perl and Prolog background, I found learning lisp to be one of the
most rewarding and challenging tasks I had done in years and I'm still
learning heaps. I now find emacs lisp and common lisp to be the most
enjoyable languages to work with.

I would recommend starting with "An Introduction to Emacs Lisp" by
Robert J. Chassell (a name you may recognise from this list). It gives
a good overview of emacs lisp. then you can look at the Emacs Lisp
Reference Manual. Both of these are probably included in your Linux
distribution - but if they are not, you can get them from the GNU
website.

regards,

Tim Cross
tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.