Sending receiving emails using VM and gmail

Hi Lucas,

   I visited Bill's blog you pointed to. I had briefly toyed with the
   idea of using Postfix etc to send emails through
   smtp.gmail.com. But it seemed very complicated. I use msmtp which
   is good enough for a single user system like mine. Bill's code for
   getting mail from gmail seemed rather long.

I use stunnel to fetch my mail from gmail. The procedure is quite
simple:

 First check that stunnel id installed by opening a root shell(C-e
 C-r) and which stunnel.

If it is there then just use the following in your ~/.vm file changing
username and password:

;;-*- Mode: Emacs-Lisp -*-
;; Directory where folders of mail are kept
(setq vm-folder-directory "~/Mail/")
(setq vm-primary-inbox "~/Mail/inbox")
;; where sent mail is stored
(setq mail-archive-file-name "~/Mail/outbox")
;; gmail settings

(setq vm-stunnel-program "/usr/sbin/stunnel")
(setq vm-spool-files '(;"/var/spool/mail/kalyanm"
		       "pop-ssl:pop.gmail.com:995:pass:kalyan.infinity:**"))

For sending mail I use msmtp available as deb packages using aptget or
rpm packages.

Create a .msmtprc file in your home directory
modeled on:

account default
host smtp.gmail.com
auth on
user kalyan.infinity@xxxxxxxxxxx
password **
port 587
from kalyan.infinity@xxxxxxxxxxx
tls on

Set permission using
$ chmod 644 .msmtprc

put this in your ~/.emacs
(setq sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp)

You are ready to send mail from VM and gmail.

Cheers.
Kalyan

PS: Lucas thinks the access permission I set allows other users of my
machine to get my password. But there is no other user here, so I am
not bothered. Perhaps you should change this. msmtp will complain if
the permission is 777.