Bug in emacspeak?

T. V. Raman writes:

 > I copied your lines of code into a foo.rb file so that it was in
 > ruby mode, and yes, the third line of special chars is not spoken
 > with punctuations set to some.
 >
 > On the Dectalk Express it does produce a tone; I need to verify
 > if/whether it produces a tone on the Viavoice.
 >
 > Personally I dont think this is a bug --- which chars did you
 > expect to be spoken out of the line:
 > "#{$`}<<#{$&}>>#{$'}"

The reason I thought it may be a bug is because the behavior is
inconsistent. If you add a alphanumeric character to that line, the
dollar characters are spoken as well as the alphanumeric character.
Without the alphanumeric character nothing is spoken. I would have
assumed that with punctuation set to some, the same punctuation
characters should be spoken regardless of whether therre is an
alphanumeric character as well.

 > Note that punctuation some in TTS is purely to preserve
 > intonation structure, and is not necessarily very clever about
 > selectively speaking subsets of chars out of a string like
 > above.
 >
 > But the bigger question: why would you program with punctuations
 > set to some? Anyone who does that will surely get what they deserve:-)

Actually, this occured while reading a web page about ruby i.e. I was
not programming, but surfing the web.

Tim

--
Tim Cross
tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.