[Prev][Next][Index][Thread][Search]

defining dictionary entries

Greg E. Priest-Dorman writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I have just started using the emacspeak pronounce features (C-e M-d).
I'm glad someone other than me is using it!

 > I am reading the e-text of "Moby Dick"  and I wanted to change the way
 > it was saying "Ahab".  I defined "Ahab" as "Ayhab".

What you've done above is perfectly legal --and exactly what the feature was
 > designed for.

 > Are other folks using this?  (If not I should probably just send this
 > to Raman.)
 >
 > Anyway, when once I define a word and invoke the dictioary, that word
 > is pronounced as I asked, but it is read in a different voice than the
 > surrounding text.  Is there an easy way to tell it not to read the new
 > pronunciation in a differnt voice but use whatever voice is current?

The reason the voice is different for any word for which a dictionary
  pronunciation is used  is to alert a blind user to the fact that what he is
  hearing is due to a dictionary definition. This is really crucial if you
  can't see the text on the screen; the nice thing about speech synthesizers
  is that they are consistent --and sometimes even consistent mispronunciation
  is better than inconsistent but correct pronunciation.
If for some reason you want to avoid this change in voice, you could turn off
  voice locking --but that will turn off use of different voices for quoted
  text etc.

I could introduce a special toggle --say
emacspeak-toggle-pronunciation-voice-change if  it will be useful; my own gut
feeling is that the change in voice is likely to be useful in 99% of the
cases.

 > Perhaps I am defing the words incorrectly,  would anyone like to
 > submit a few examples?
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Greg Priest-Dorman

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (408) 536 3945   (W14-129)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (408) 537 4042
      (W14 129) 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/raman.html (Adobe  Internal)
      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/raman.html  (Cornell)
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.