[Prev][Next][Index][Thread][Search]

Re: EmacsSpeak?

Davros T. Slug writes:
 > One question:
 >
 > Can EmacsSpeak read a shell if you start a shell from under emacs?
 Most certainly, yes. I do the above all the time.

  >(say,
 > run emacs, open a shell, and run telnet, ftp, or something)?

 Note: vanila shell mode under emacs ie when you do M-x shell does not handle
 terminal emulation correctly. This means that things like telnet don't work
 well under shell-mode.
 Emacs has a "term.el" that does terminal emulation, but this is also buggy.
 There is a package called eterm which is a full terminal emulator for emacs,
 and this is what I use when I run telnet sessions from inside emacs. eterm is
 powerful and robust and will let you open telnet sessions to other hosts and
 work correctly. Emacspeak has been extended to work with eterm; see module
 emacspeak-eterm.el

 You can pick up eterm from ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/eterm
 > By the way, I'm going to start looking at getting the thing going for the
 > Accent now. (I've just got emacs on my system...)
 >

 > --
 > Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV        | And we will all go together when we go,
 > 3508 S. First St. #208       | All suffused with an incandescent glow.
 > Austin, TX 78704             | No one will have the endurance
 > (512) 441-3246               | To collect on his insurance.
 > Internet: davros@xxxxxxxxxxx    | Lloyd's of London will be loaded when they go.
 > davros@xxxxxxxxxxx    | --Tom Lehrer

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (408) 536 3945   (W14-129)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (408) 537 4042
      (W14 129) 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/raman.html (Adobe  Internal)
      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/raman.html  (Cornell)
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.