google search breaking

I'm getting more perplexed ...
Here is the result of running w3-fetch on
http://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=lequere+2014+earth+system+data&num=25

               1.

               2.

                 Images

               3.

                 Maps

               4.

                 Play

               5.

                 YouTube

               6.

                 News

               7.

                 Gmail

               8.

                 Drive

               9.

                 More

               1.                 Calendar

               2.                 Translate

               3.                 Mobile

               4.                 Books

               5.                 Wallet

               6.                 Shopping

               7.                 Blogger

               8.                 Finance

               9.                 Photos

              10.                 Videos

              11.

Even more »

               1.

                 Sign in

               2.

               3.

               1.                 Search settings

               2.

Web History

    lequere 2014 earth system data

  Web

  Images

  Videos

  News

  Shopping

  Maps

  Books

Note the http in that url not https
This is under emacs 24.3.1

Now under emacs 24.4.50 from git I run
eww
http://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=lequere+2014+earth+system+data&num=25
and get the much more useful:
Search Images Maps Play YouTube News Gmail Drive More »
Web History | Settings | Sign in

 Search Options    About 12,100 results

 *                 1 Online Library ESSD - Earth System Science Data
   * Any time
   * Past hour
   * Past 24 hours   www.earth-syst-sci-data.net/recent_papers.html
   * Past week       ‎
   * Past month
   * Past year       Earth Syst. Sci. Data, 6, 265-271, 2014 ... C. Le Quéré, G. P. Peters, R. J. Andres,
                     R. M. Andrew, T. A. Boden, P. Ciais, P. Friedlingstein, R. A. Houghton, ...
 *
   * All results   2 The global carbon budget 1959–2011 - Earth System Science Data
   * Verbatim

                     www.earth-syst-sci-data.net/5/165/2013/essd-5-165-2013.html
                     ‎

                     2 Dec 2012 ... C. Le Quéré1, R. J. Andres2, T. Boden2, T. Conway3, R. A. Houghton4, J. I. ... 3
                     National Oceanic & Atmosphere Administration, Earth System ...

                   3 Global carbon budget 2013 - Earth System Science Data

                     www.earth-syst-sci-data.net/6/235/2014/essd-6-235-2014.html
                     ‎
I've deleted lots of nice results.

Yes, I'll be cutting over to 24.4 and eww once I can get my
w3-dependent customizations fixed but I'm quite curious to know what
happens to anyone else running a simple w3-fetch on the above URL
generates.
I've almost certainly set something silly in tidying html or xsl
processing ... but I can't see it at the moment. I'm also shocked just
how dependent I am on the efficient google-search facilities of
emacspeak.
thanks again
Peter