DecTalk USB and serial converter

Hiya,
I've had some success getting the Emacspeak Dectalk express server to work with a DecTalk USB in serial mode.
I'm running this off a USB serial converter, which otherwise works fine.
The TTS self-test runs well, but for some reason when I initially start the TCL script there are a bunch of errors that the DecTalk itself reports.  Errors in command parameters, phonemes, etc.
Any advice would be appreciated, as while it works, it's less than good quality.
Also of note is the behavior when I press keys in Emacspeak, especially letters.  It says 'space a', 'space b', etc.  A space between every letter, reguardless of if one actually exists.
Any help appreciated,
Yours,
Zack.