Re: emacspeak on cygwin?

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 07:54:23AM -0400, Morgan, J. MR  CLCRS/DFL wrote:
> John Wise recently asked about compiling emacspeak on cygwin.  I'm
> curious to know how you get emacspeak working under cygwin.  I have a
> machine at home running xp and jaws .  I've installed cygwin and I use
> it to do tasks that are apparently impossible under windows.
> Last night I downloaded and installed emacs-22.1. I checked out
> emacspeak from svn.  I got through the make config and make steps with
> no errors.
> What steps do you take from here?
> What speech server do you use under cygwin?
> Assuming you get everything installed, then what?  Do you turn off your
> screen reader and run "emacspeak -e" from a commandline?
> Regards,
> John
>
> John J Morgan
> Center For Languages, Cultures, and Regional studies
> 745 Brewerton Road
> West Point, New York, 10996
> Phone: 845-938-5329
> Email: john.morgan@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Cell: 914-382-6925
> Fax: 845-938-3585

I use festival lite. Others on the list may be able to recommends something
better but this has worked for me.

Go to
http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/packed/flite-1.3/
and download
flite-1.3-release.tar.gz

you won't need the exe but just follow the instructions in README under
Compilation

you can then move the flite-1.3-release directory to /usr/src or note where
it is.

Download
eflite from
http://eflite.sourceforge.net/
and follow the instructions in the INSTALL. Be sure to path to your flite in
the configure, for me

./configure flite_dir=/usr/src/flite-1.3-release

I could not get emacspeak to finish its make install, but I did get it to run
using a shell script described in section 5.1 of the INSTALL for eflite

#!/bin/sh

export EMACS_UNIBYTE=1
export DTK_PROGRAM=/usr/local/bin/eflite
emacs -q -l /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el
# You may want to add "-l $HOME/.emacs" to the previous line

Hope I haven't been too pedantic, but hope that helps.

As a disclaimer, I am sighted, but I have glaucoma and an interest in
accessible technologies. I'm also having problems gettting eflite to compile
on a second machine, so someone on the list may want to recommend something
else.

--
-john